Monday, October 09, 2006

A Post from Dale

Kon-nichi wa to all our dear church family and friends!

Randy is now “dryer sitting” and I’m back in the room with a few minutes to say “hi” before I begin packing for the next almost two weeks of traveling to other parts of Japan.
We need to condense everything into one suitcase for the first leg of the trip and the rest we will send on to the camp, where hopefully we will meet up with it on Sat.

It is much warmer here than I had expected, and the trees so far are still green. Did you know that Japan and New England are the two most beautiful places to view the fall colors? Most likely we will see the changes as the month goes on.

Let me share with you a few thoughts before I get to packing. First, I want to give God glory and praise for all the answers to prayer so far. Everything has been going so well. It’s been such a joy to be here. I feel so humbled and blessed in just how God made all this possible for us to come. Everyday He shows us new blessings that He is at work here in Japan. Yesterday we spent the day with the church family at Chiba Newtown. At first I felt like I would never be able to connect with the people there. There was the language barrier, and we only had Sun. morning with them. But at the end of our time together (S.S., morning service, and potluck meal) I felt so bonded with them. It’s amazing how many of them could speak English and for those who could not, I asked Melody to translate. I was able to have a conversation with each family and that along with Melody sharing about some of their backgrounds was a great blessing. Most of the people in the church are there because of English classes the Yoshidas taught to their children. Some of them are still not believers, even after many years of contact. When we arrived back to our hotel, Melody called and we talked for another hour and a half about the work and the burden she has for the church family. It’s been a blessing as well to get to know her better.

It was also a blessing to become acquainted with the Enterlines, who are filling in for the Mitas. We were with the Enterlines on Fri. and had several great hours with them, enjoying a wonderful Japanese meal called “Chanko”. We will be back with the Enterlines towards the end of our trip to actually stay a night there in their town. I loved hearing their testimonies. It never ceases to amaze me what God can do with anyone who steps out and says “Here am I, Lord, send me”.

The missionaries are so encouraged that we care about them and the needy field of Japan. It really hit me yesterday just how much prayer is needed for Japan. I truly feel it’s something we all can do to help; and, having been here, now I can see first hand the great need for our prayers from the states.

I’ve also been hit with how little fellowship the believers have with other believers. It’s so drastically different from what we are accustomed to. We can have spiritual encouragement 24/7 if we wanted to. It is so not the case here. When I ride the many trains we’ve ridden so far, I look for a face that might have a smile or joy behind it but the only ones I’ve seen were when we walked into church and encountered believers. Christ in us brings light to the whole world and it shows. A lamp cannot be hidden even in the darkest of places. Praise God for the precious gift of His Light to us!!!! I’m eternally grateful to Him. Well, the clothes are dry now and I’m off to packing…..until next time. Thanks so much for all the prayers! We all feel so covered by them! A sweet smelling fragrance to our Lord!
Love,
Dale

2 comments:

Elsbeth said...

Pastor, Dale and Elliott,

I'm so much enjoying reading your blog! Thank you for taking the time to write in detail.
Everything is going well at the house. Oscar still misses you, but I think he likes me too. =)
The house is so quiet, but it is refreshing to have the alone-time at the end of each day. God is enriching my times with Him, and I know He must be preparing my heart for next summer's trip.
Faith went well this Sunday, with several significant visits in the evening.
The weather has been consistantly gorgeous and the trees are at their most colorful! I have enjoyed taking walks with Oscar on your quiet street.
Know that I'm praying for you. I think about you guys many times throughout the day.

In God's Grip,
Elsbeth

crt said...

thanks for the detailed updates! i've enjoyed meeting the people of japan through your eyes and hearts.
we are praying.
cheryl